Thursday, February 19, 2009

Happy late Valentines Day!

We celebrated Valentines day a few days late because Randy was out of town, but it was just as sweet as ever.


I made these Pottery Barn inspired Valentines holders last year for the kiddos. I hung them on the kitchen chairs the night before Valentines day and filled them with Valentines and chocolate.

I had a big meal planned but decided to hold off until Randy returned home. I did however, make the appetizers I had planned to make since the avocados were ripe and I couldn't stand it any more. I found this recipe for The Cheesecake Factory's avocado rolls on Recipe Zaar. They were so yummy. My kids even liked them. I was so happy to find this recipe. Now I just need to learn how to make cheesecake like they do.


Avocado Rolls
2 avocados, diced
2 TB sun dried tomatoes in oil, diced
1 TB minced red onion
1/2 t fresh cilantro, chopped
1 pinch salt
4 egg roll wraps
1 egg, beaten

Stir together avocado, tomatoes, onion cilantro and salt. Spoon filling into egg wrapper. Brush edges of wrapper with egg and fold up. Fry 3-4 min. Drain on a paper bag. Serve with dipping sauce.

Dipping Sauce
3 t white vinegar
1 t balsamic vinegar
1/2 t tamarind pulp
1/4 c honey
1 pinch saffron
1/2 c chopped cashews
2/3 c fresh cilantro
2 garlic cloves
2 green onions
1 TB sugar
1 t black pepper
1 t cumin
1/4 c olive oil

Combine vinegars, tamarind pulp, honey, and saffron in a small bowl. Microwave until the tamarind pulp is dissolved. Pour all ingredients in the blender except the olive oil. Puree until smooth. Stir in the olive oil and refrigerate.

The sauce really makes this dish. I made the sauce without the tamarind pulp and the saffron and it was still really yummy. I couldn't find tamarind pulp in any of our grocery stores, but I did find places to buy it online. Saffron is about 14 dollars for 5 little pieces so I decide to leave it out also. It made plenty of sauce so I froze it for the next time. I made them again when Randy got home and he loved it!


Here is my Valentine! Isn't he cute? He's so good to me, I couldn't have picked a better one!

4 comments:

*Katie May* said...

what cute holder and those avocado rolls look super yummy!

The Zoo Keeper said...

You are so talented. I LOVE your L O V E blocks!! I want some!!

Brandon,Shara and Family said...

Yum! Those avocado rolls look sooo good. They look profesional. You inspire me to get to cooking something yummy.

stacie said...

Those avocado rolls do look good- we love avocados around here- I may just attempt to make them sometime!